Gingerbread Christmas Cookies
Run, run, run as fast as you can. You'll never catch me, I'm the gingerbread man! – The Gingerbread man, a fairy tale
When it comes to Christmas, nothing captures the festive season quite like gingerbread biscuits. Whether made into a wickedly enticing gingerbread house or something a little less fiddly like gingerbread men or festive shapes, no Christmas Eve is complete without the sweet and zesty smell of fresh biscuits drifting throughout the house.
Now, if you planned on having a biscuit free Christmas, we’re here to say, live a little. Because life is all about balance and as it turns out, the spices used to make these delicious cookies have some pretty awesome benefits.
Made using dried ginger, cinnamon and cloves, gingerbread cookies contain a healthy dose of antioxidants that help the body fight free radicals and help fight inflammation. What’s more, these super delicious treats have also been shown to help regulate blood sugar levels with ginger, cinnamon and cloves linked closely to helping minimise the absorption of sugar.
If you needed us to twist your arm a little more, the Happy Way gingerbread cookies recipe contains the addition of protein powder, meaning it’s a treat not only for your taste buds but your hard-working muscles as well. You may not want to share a biscuit or two amongst good company, but your biceps have been working hard all year and are feeling festive. Don’t let them miss the party.
So get to baking, decorating and deliver the kind of Christmas biscuits Santa will actually appreciate.
Fun fact: During the 16th century, gingerbread men were handed out as love tokens. That is because medicinal practitioners believed that if women could get a man to eat a gingerbread man that they had made for their chosen love, that young man would fall in love with them.
So forget the mistletoe, and get to baking ladies.
100g organic butter, chopped
1/3-cup brown sugar
1/3-cup maple syrup
2 cups of flour
1 scoop of the Happy Way Vegan Protein powder
1 tbsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. baking powder
White icing sugar
- Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Sift the flour and spices into a separate bowl and combine all the ingredients well. Whisk your egg and when complete stir it through the batter. Mix until smooth dough forms. Place into the fridge to set for approximately 30mins
- Preheat oven to 180degrees.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface and use a cookie cutter to cut out your Christmas cookie shapes. Place onto a prepared baking tray and place into oven to bake for approx. 8-10minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Decorate with icing sugar. Enjoy!