Meet Happy Way ambassador and health and wellness Superwoman, Naomi Zee-McKillop!
Founder of EVOLVED YOU, a business that encourages women to be the best version of themselves, Naomi is a health coach, personal trainer, podcast host and business owner, who educates her clients on the importance of living a fulfilled life by being in balance. Naomi is a big believer that when it comes to evolving and changing your life, it has to start from within and that any successful health and wellness journey involves a few key compartments that all work together to make a healthier, and happier YOU!
So what are those key areas that we should be focusing on to make 2022 our best year yet? What things can we put in place to encourage positive change and a life of abundance? And, of course, what are Naomi’s must-have Happy Way products and go-to recipes that she can’t live without this new year?
Read on to be inspired!
NAOMI’S FAVOURITE HAPPY WAY PRODUCTS
My favourite Happy Way products would have to be any combo that has that luscious hit of caramel—I’m addicted! The Choc Caramel Whey Protein Powder is my #1 as it reminds me of a Caramello Koala which is my absolute weakness haha! The Salted Caramel Whey Protein Powder would be next in line, followed by the Like A Vegan Vanilla Protein Powder as it’s just to die for in protein oats (gives a great consistency in my opinion). Also, I’m a new fan of the Super Greens and Super Reds powders as they not only taste great but they’re also packed with so many added health benefits!
NAOMI’S GO-TO RECIPES FOR 2022
I love getting creative in the kitchen with my Happy Way products—coming up with new recipes that are delicious but also provide a lot of nutritional value is important to me. I’m definitely an oats in the morning kinda gal, but I’m also a self-confessed sweet tooth and I love creating treats that seem to be high in calories but are in fact considerably healthy. Check out my faves below—they’re perfect to enjoy for breakfast, or to share with friends as a yummy dessert.
NAOMI’S TIPS FOR 2022
When it comes to making some positive change and evolving your life, there are several areas that need to work together cohesively to achieve a total lifestyle transformation. These areas are:-
- Education goes a long way when it comes to sustaining your results, especially when it comes to nutrition. I've seen too many people suffer from a life of restriction when there’s no need to! Find what works for you, learn about calories/macros etc and prioritise good food 85% of the time (we all deserve to treat ourselves too!).
- When it comes to health supplements, protein is definitely my go-to and I think everyone can benefit from it in one way or another. It’s quite common for people not to get enough protein, so adding a protein shake or smoothie into your daily diet will ensure you’re getting the necessary nutrients your body needs, and trust me, your body and muscles will thank you for it!
- Make sure you’re getting your daily dose of fruit and vegetables and looking after your gut health. A healthy gut leads to optimal performance in your training, as well as a happy mindset.
- Focus on calories in VS calories out through nutrition. Try to stay away from the fad diets, the quick fixes and the juice cleanses etc. because sustainable results are ones that are achieved over time through a sustainable, well-balanced diet.
- Find a form of training or movement that you enjoy and just focus on that. There is no point in doing a form of exercise that doesn't bring you joy as you simply won't follow or keep up with it. If you’re not a runner, don’t make yourself run around the oval every day! Choose something that aligns with your passions and that you look forward to doing.
- Focus on progressing in some way or another each week—whether it's by adding 2kg to your squats or an extra 200m to your run—start small and work on increasing it over time. As you see yourself build in strength and endurance, you’ll be encouraged to strive for more!
- Don't forget the importance of having a strong and healthy body. If you’re unsure of movement patterns or how to train confidently, get a coach, join a class, ask a PT for advice etc. It’s important that you’re using the correct techniques, to not only prevent injury but also to ensure you’re gaining the maximum benefits.
- Recovery is a huge part of the journey and shouldn't be overlooked as it may be the thing that's stopped you from achieving your goals in the past. Prioritise rest, whatever that looks like for you, and allow yourself downtime. Listen to your body and what it needs—if you’re feeling run down, don’t push yourself through an intense workout—this will only prolong your recovery! Take some time out, keep yourself rested and hydrated, and know you’ll be back at it when your body is ready.
- Surround yourself with people that lift you up, not bring you down. There’s nothing wrong with hitting that virtual mute or unfollow button if need be. Your community is everything, so build that squad with supporting people!
- Make sure you get at least 20-30 minutes of sunshine per day. Whether that's starting your day with a walk (highly recommended) or having your lunch in the sun—trust me when I say it will do wonders for your health.
- Speaking of walking... ensuring you’re moving your body by getting your "steps" in is a great way to work towards your goals. Whether you’re looking to lose weight in 2022 or just improve your overall health, I highly recommend that you get in your daily steps, aiming for at least 8-10k per day.
- Form good daily habits you can actually follow and maintain. If you’ve tried something in the past and it didn't work, that's ok, just try something else. This goes back to choosing things that align with you and your passions—doing things that make you feel good will mean that you’re more likely to continue doing it. It’s when we do something consistently that we create change and form a habit, so stick with it and watch how your life improves.
- Never underestimate the power of a healthy, happy mind when it comes to your health and wellness journey. One of my non-negotiables is doing something each day that makes me happy! It can be anything from riding your bike, putting your toes in the ocean, colouring a drawing or dancing in the kitchen. Just make more of an effort to have fun, de-stress and smile!
- Journalling is another good one when it comes to setting goals and intentions, or even for releasing negative energy, which can allow you to move forward. I also like to use my journal for "I AM” affirmations or quotes of the day, as well as for gratitude lists, daily reflections and how I can improve tomorrow.
- Do some form of meditation or breath work daily if possible. Anything to slow the mind down from all the craziness and be present is super beneficial for our mental health. You can listen to a guided meditation or put on some calming music and just focus on the inhale and exhale of your breath. There are some fantastic apps where you can access a tonne of great content—one of my favourites is Insight Timer.
What are you waiting for?? It’s time to become a more EVOLVED YOU! Happy 2022 Happy Way-ers!