With so much choice out there, it is so important to know what we are putting into our bodies. People today are becoming much more product savvy and are wanting to know the features and benefits of ingredients. What do they need to consume to get the results that they want, and what’s going to be best for their health, lifestyle, and both their physical and mental well-being? At Happy Way we have included the ingredient MCT powder into some of our products, and we want to fill you in on what it is, where it comes from and what are the benefits of incorporating it into your diet. We love to educate and empower our customers, so you have all the tools and knowledge to make the best decisions for YOU!
WHAT ARE MCTS?
MCTs are medium chain triglycerides, which are naturally occurring fatty acids that provide a lot of health benefits to the body. Triglycerides are an essential part of the human diet, as they are used to burn energy or stored as body fat, and consist of a glycerol molecule and three fatty acids. They are named after their chemical composition, mainly in reference to the length of their fatty acid chains, and in our diets the majority of fat obtained is made up from long-chain fatty acids which contain 12-21 carbons. Short chain triglycerides have fewer than 6 atoms, while MCTs have 6-12 carbon atoms.
Being that they are a shorter chain length, MCTs break down and are absorbed into the body at a faster rate than LCT’s. They are metabolised differently, going straight into your liver, and it is here that they can be used as energy or turned into ketones - which are what’s produced when the liver breaks down large amounts of fat. Being that MCTs are digested quicker than LCT’s they are likely to be used as energy first, with any excess stored as fat.
MCT oil has been used as a dietary supplement for some time, but more recently MCTs have been created into powder form, which have been incorporated into many protein powders.
WHERE CAN I FIND MCTS?
Medium-chain triglycerides are found in many food sources but are commonly found in oils and supplements. Coconut oil, palm kernel oil, whole milk and butter are rich in MCT’s and you can also purchase MCT oil which is highly concentrated.
MCT oil is made from extracting the MCTs from coconut or palm kernel oil through a manufacturing process. It has little to no taste or smell, which makes it ideal to mix with food or drinks, and it can even be consumed straight from the bottle. If you want to maintain overall good health, using coconut or palm kernel oil in cooking is a great option, or alternatively if you want a higher dose, MCT oil is best.
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE BENEFITS OF MCTS?
Consuming MCTs has many health benefits including:-
- Weight management – Whilst there still needs to be more research on this fact, using MCT oil can help with weight loss, being that it can increase the feeling of fullness. It also has 10% less calories than LCTs, can be converted into ketones (produced by the breakdown of fat) and promotes good gut health.
- Increased energy – Being that MCTs are easily absorbed and travel quickly throughout the body, they can be used as a fast source of energy.
- Improved brain function and focus – When consuming MCTs you are essentially providing direct fuel for the brain, as ketones and glucose are the only 2 substances your brain can use for fuel. This will help with concentration and focus throughout your workouts, workday or day to day activities.
- Could help reduce blood sugar levels and reduce risk for heart disease – Because MCTs help reduce fat storage and increase fat burning, they can assist with managing high blood sugar. As they have been proven to support weight loss, MCTs may in turn help reduce the risk of heart disease, lower cholesterol and reduce inflammation.
- May help manage conditions such as epilepsy, Alzheimer’s and autism through assisting with brain function and memory - The benefits of consuming MCTs for those with these conditions are promising, but larger scale studies and more research are needed.
WHY ARE WE USING MCT’s IN OUR PRODUCTS?
At Happy Way, our focus is to provide our customers with products that are jam packed with flavour and filled with nutritional benefits. We have chosen to add MCTs into some of our protein powders, which will help boost energy, assist with digestion and keep you feeling fab and functioning—to help you power through your day!