This month at Happy Way we’re celebrating Plastic Free July, a global movement that’s focused on reducing the use of single-use plastics in our daily lives to provide a solution to the plastic pollution problem that’s affecting the planet—resulting in cleaner oceans, streets and communities.
We thought it would be a great opportunity to reach out to one of our much-loved Happy Way ambassadors, Bridget Bennett—a woman who not only radiates positivity and fun but someone who also cares deeply about making the world we live in a better place.
Bridget is the founder of The Powerful Woman Project—a program Bridget created to help everyday women live a life full of health, happiness and abundance. Following her own battles with negative self-talk and a lack of self-love, Bridget’s mission in her work with her clients is to support women through holistic health and wellness coaching, allowing them to rediscover and fall back in love with themselves.
So, because we always love to get a sneak peek into our ambassador's kitchens, we asked Bridget what Happy Way products she always has stocked in her pantry, what recipes she likes to create to nourish her mind, body and soul, and lastly, what sustainability practices she incorporates into her day-to-day to give Mother Nature some love.
BRIDGET’S ‘CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT’ HAPPY WAY PRODUCTS
I love making my homemade banana bread with this protein powder! It’s light, smooth and delivers a delicious flavour that’s perfect in many baked goods.
This one satisfies my fruity flavour cravings and is a great addition to any smoothie or smoothie bowl. I live off of fresh fruit and smoothies (especially in the warmer months) so I always make sure I have this one in my kitchen pantry.
Anything that supports my health and well-being is at the top of my shopping list and this one is definitely up there! I enjoy Happy Way’s Super Greens Powder every day—whether it be blended with water or creating my own immunity-boosting concoction (see recipe below).
BRIDGET’S SELF-CARE RECIPES
GLUTEN-FREE BANANA BREAD
- 1 cup of buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup of almond meal
- 1 scoop of Happy Way Like A Vegan Vanilla Protein Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 4 ripe bananas (keep one for the top of the bread)
- 1/2 cup of maple syrup, honey or rice malt syrup
- 1/4 cup of coconut cream
- 1/4 cup of crunchy natural peanut butter
- 2 eggs (can use coconut oil as a vegan alternative)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Using a large mixing bowl, or NutriBullet if you prefer a smooth batter, add in all of the wet ingredients including the 3 bananas, mix and/or blend well to combine.
- Add in the remaining dry ingredients and mix well. Line a rectangle cake tin with baking paper, preferably one with high sides.
- Pour the batter into the tin and tap on the bench to get rid of the air bubbles. Peel and slice the remaining banana in half and place both slices on top of the mixture.
- Bake in a fan-forced oven for up to 45 minutes or until golden brown in colour. I always find it handy to do a skewer test to ensure it’s fully cooked—if you poke the skewer in and it comes out clean it’s done!
BERRY SMOOTHIE/SMOOTHIE BOWL
- 150 g of strawberries
- 1 scoop of Happy Way I Love You Berry Much Whey Protein Powder
- 1 Tbsp of Happy Way Açai Berry Powder
- 20 g of rolled oats
- 2 tsp of peanut butter
- 4/5 ice cubes
- 100-200 ml of nut milk (or your choice of milk)
- Pop all of the ingredients into a NutriBullet and blitz well.
- Pour into the desired bowl ( I love my Happy Way Coconut Bowl and Spoon Set!) and top with your favourite goodies—strawberries, chia seeds, pistachios and almonds are my go-to.
IMMUNITY GREENS SMOOTHIE
- 1 medium banana
- 1 pear
- 1 apple
- ½ a lemon
- 1 scoop of Happy Way Super Greens Powder
- Water and ice cubes
- Chop the ingredients into small pieces and pop them into a NutriBullet.
- Cut the lemon in half, peel off the skin and then chop and place it into the NutriBullet—don’t juice it.
- Pop several ice cubes in, fill to the top with water and blend.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy! To make it even better, purchase the super cute Happy Way Stainless Steel Straws and do your part for the environment.
HOW BRIDGET CARES FOR THE PLANET
Caring for the environment is highly important to me for several different reasons.
Firstly, we have a responsibility as a generation to put our best foot forward—to make this planet a safer and more comfortable environment to live in as well as to care for, support and save it for future generations to come.
With this being said, there’s a heap of benefits from this which directly affect our health and well-being. By caring for the environment and going plastic free (or as plastic free as you can—every bit counts!), you’re optimising your health due to not consuming microplastics.
For me this comes down to using glassware containers for all food storage instead of plastic ones (my pantry is FULL of them!), using stainless steel water bottles to eliminate single-use plastic water bottles (I love my Happy Way Drink Bottle!) and drinking with Stainless Steel Straws instead of plastic or even paper ones which will cut out waste and you can reuse the stainless steel straws over and over again. Another way I like to minimise waste and plastic is by using loose leaf tea in a steel strainer instead of single-use teabags as even these can contain microplastics and are not considered BPA-free.
It’s not too late to be a part of the Plastic Free July challenge! Check out the website for further information and ways you can reduce single-use plastics to care for the environment.